Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Driving While Distracted Part 1

As I was deciding what to write for this month’s article, I pondered over several different ideas. One day I watched the Oprah special on distracted driving….What an impact that show made on me! Lives ruined and such sadness, all because someone was talking or texting while driving. It had seemed like the perfect time to use your phone while the kids are in their car seats, watching a movie or sleeping, it is quiet....you’ve got so many calls on your list to make for the day….right? Wrong!!!!! I began to reflect on my own habits regarding this issue, and I realized I was among the many who kept their phone in their lap while driving, often using driving time to “catch up” on phone calls. I, too, work all day, and am tired in the evening, so on my way home or during lunch, I may return calls or check on my “grown” kids. I decided I needed to change this habit that I had become accustomed to doing.
I made my own pledge to truly limit my calls, to not hold the phone while driving, to not dial or receive any calls while driving, and, of course, to never read or respond to text messages while driving. How can I expect to look in my mirrors or safely turn my head, if needed, to change lanes for example, while holding a phone to my ear? How many times have you noticed someone making a driving error and you look over and they are on their phone? I had experienced a few near misses regarding this and I realized it was just a matter of time before I created an accident. To my surprise, I feel so much better. I am much more aware of my surroundings, feel much more in control and realize most of my car phone calls really are unnecessary. This is just a habit that needs to be broken. I know this is just a beginning step, but at least it is better than before.
I encourage you to try this. Just be aware of your driving habits: try to make one simple change in what you do while driving and I guarantee you will be safer for yourself and those you love, as well as anyone around you on the road. Maybe you can pledge not to talk on the phone while driving at all! Be a role model for your kids here…especially those of you that have teens who will soon be driving or already are. This is not a topic to be taken lightly.
Surprisingly the very next week I discovered that Senate Bill 360 has now passed the Georgia legislature. It will prohibit individuals from using wireless telecommunications devices for sending or receiving text messages while driving. In addition, the new law also prohibits drivers under the age of 18 from using a wireless communication device…Period….It will be against the law for our new, inexperienced drivers to talk or text while driving. This is a good thing. Speak to your teens. Show them you are following the rules. There are just too many unnecessary accidents. Eventually, maybe things will return to the way they used to be. Cell phones for car emergencies, not for everyday use while driving. Think about it. Give it a try…….
By Sharon Lebedin, CPNP

No comments:

Post a Comment